Many employees struggle to keep their desks organized. Our work area greatly influences our mood, behavior and state of mind, so if you want to be ready to tackle the day, you need to keep your desk area organized. Any highly organized person will tell you they need to start with a clean desk. Keeping the area on your desk neat is as important as keeping your files in order. Below are 6 tips to help you keep a clean desk.
- Keep supplies near by. Pencil caddies and drawers are convenient ways to make sure items you use often are kept within reach.
- Treat your desk as prime real estate. Whatever items or paperwork sit on your desk deserves to take up the space. Only items used on a daily bases should sit there.
- Raise your computer monitor. When you put your computer monitor on a stand, you not only raise it to the correct ergonomic level, but you will give yourself additional clean desk surface space. You may want to consider installing shelves or a hutch on or above your desk or if you are in a cubicle, installing a binder bin to stow away items not used on a day to day basis.
- Use stackable In and Out trays. Stackable In and Out trays help clearly define what needs to be worked on and can help prioritize what is ready to be shipped out or filed.
- Lateral file cabinets. Though it has long been claimed that we have become a paperless society, I have yet to see it at many customer locations. Law firms are slowly becoming paperless, but in the mean time many attorneys have stacks and stacks of active files on their desks and credenzas that need a temporary home in their office. This is where lateral file cabinets come into play. We sell an array of sizes from 2 drawers to 5 drawers high with widths from 30” to 42” wide. A lateral file cabinet in your office helps you keep you active files within reach while maintaining a clean and functional desk.
- Purchasing the correct used desk or workstation setup. Choosing the perfect desk setup is half the battle in keeping your desk organized. In the old days, we only needed room on our desks to write or for a typewriter. Today we need room for our computer monitor, hard drive, printer, keyboard, etc. Sometimes a double pedestal desk is not enough, we may need an L shaped desk in order to house many of the additional items we use throughout the workday and still have room to write. What many people do not realize is that the return on the desk takes up about the same amount of space that we need for our desk chair. If you bring us your room dimensions, we can help you choose the perfect setup.
CJ Office Furniture has over 30 years of experience in helping customers find the perfect used desk setup to help them create an organized and productive work area. Contact CJ Office Furniture TODAY at (973) 263-3535 OR visit our warehouse at 60 Parsippany Blvd., Boonton, NJ 07005, so we can help you make the most of your used desk shopping experience